By: Stella Blackmon, Clementine Daily
Let the calming flavors of chamomile and rose from Caldrea’s tender Sweet Pea fragrance inspire an afternoon escape, complete with tea and scones. Take a break from a frenzied schedule and bask in the fleeting moments of peaceful serenity. The soothing and stress-relieving qualities of chamomile tea help you relax, which make it the perfect standout ingredient for homemade buttermilk scones. Serve the freshly baked treats with butter, a drizzle of honey, and a steaming cup of tea. Set aside leftover scones as a thoughtful snack for loved ones.
Chamomile & Honey Buttermilk Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter
½ cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons of ground chamomile tea leaves
1 egg, plus 1 egg beaten for egg wash
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in chamomile tea leaves.
- Whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, vanilla and honey. Pour over flour mixture and stir until mixture balls together into a dough. Gently knead dough to incorporate the rest of the flour.
- Pat or roll dough into a 1-inch-thick circle. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 wedges. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake until tops are golden brown, about 22 minutes. Best served warm.